In July of 1978, the Origins Game Fair was held in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Over 3500 people attended what was the largest gaming convention in the US at that time. In the main hall gamers could pick up the latest games from all the major publishers: Cross of Iron by Avalon Hill, Atlantic Wall by SPI, and The Hall of the Fire Giant King module by TSR. In one small booth near a corner you could also purchase RuneQuest, the first Roleplaying game published by The Chaosium, a quirky 3 person company from the Bay Area. It sold out over the weekend, and every print run continued to do so for the next several years.
This is the second edition of the RuneQuest rules in its final form, with all errata incorporated into the text. Additional material has been added to the appendices at the end.
RuneQuest took the young world of roleplaying games by storm; it cast aside many of the approaches most other games took. It had no character classes, no experience points, no levels, and far fewer restrictions on how weapons, armor, and spells could be used. Instead of a D20 it uses a percentile 01-100 system. It also has the built-in fantasy world of Glorantha.
During what many consider to be the golden age of roleplaying, RuneQuest enjoyed its greatest popularity, second only to AD&D in sales. It won numerous awards, starting in 1978 with the Strategist’s Club Award for “Outstanding Miniatures Rules”, which may sound quirky, but that was because the industry had yet to create award categories specifically for roleplaying games.
With RuneQuest, you enter a world of high adventure and death-defying excitement, where good and evil meet face to face and weapon to claw!
This book includes:
- Character Creation - how to turn numbers into characters, with explanations of why’s as well as what’s.
- Basic Mechanics - tells what dice to roll and when, and what each roll means. These early chapters show the secret workings of the “world machine.”
- Combat Skills - contains information on use, cost, training, and problems with weaponry. It provides a unique combat system free of ambiguities.
- Battle Magic - everyday spells available to all characters. You can enhance weapons or armor, detect items, or combat spirits.
- Other Skills - available in a wide variety are such personal skills as Riding, Tracking and Picking Pockets.
- Rune Magic - provides spells that deliver the power of the gods to their devoted followers; also discusses the cults that channel such powers and the deadly tribal shamans.
- Monsters - from Aldryami to zombies, this extensive chapter gives guidelines for a menagerie of beasts (dumb and smart) which can menace players and make life difficult.
- Treasure - there are complete guidelines for compiling treasure which is commensurate with the comparative danger of the monsters dealt with.
- Referee Notes - useful guidelines for the novice and professional referee, including optional rules.
- Charts and Tables - included are play-aids for running a campaign in the Dragon Pass area; among others are encounter, reaction, and experience tables.
This limited leatherette edition includes:
- Hard Cover Reprinted RuneQuest 2nd Edition with an updated layout. It contains all the 2nd edition text, and with all the errata incorporated where it belongs. Additional material has been added to the appendices at the end.
- Newly-designed GM screen inspired by the "Judges Screen". Check out more details from the Kickstarter post here.
- Twenty page printed players handouts. You can download them here.
Das PDF des Buches ist im Lieferumfang enthalten.