If you have any interest in British folklore Romance of the Perilous Land is a treasure trove of interesting ideas and fresh takes on old stories. And if you don't - even if you aren't from the British Isles - it's a fun mid-weight fantasy setting to play through; one packed with weird creatures and brave heroes" - Richard Jansen-Parkes, Tabletop Gaming Magazine
Romance of the Perilous Land is a roleplaying game of magic and adventure set in the world of British folklore, from the stories of King Arthur to the wonderful regional tales told throughout this green and pleasant land. It is a world of romantic chivalry, but also of great danger, with ambitious kings, evil knights, and thieving brigands terrorising the land, while greedy giants, malevolent sorcerers, and water-dwelling knuckers lurk in the shadows. As valiant knights, mighty barbarians, subtle cunning folk, and more, the players are heroes, roaming the land to fight evil, right wrongs, and create their own legends.
This new edition of Romance of the Perilous Land: A Roleplaying Game of British Folklore includes:
- A gazetteer detailing the 11 kingdoms of the Perilous Land, with plenty of hooks inspired by regional British folklore
- More than 70 different folkloric creatures, from redcaps and pottons to Knuckers and Boggarts.
- Six classes that can be customised with backgrounds, talents, deities and factions.
- An updated ruleset, keeping the streamlined OSR-inspired mechanics but adding brand new options
- Join factions like Robin Hood's Merry Men, Merlin's Order of Enchanters and the Knights of the Round Table, each with their own guidelines for roleplaying.
- Stunning artwork throughout from Alan Lathwell and John McCambridge