Old-School Essentials is an adventure role-playing game of exploration, danger, monsters, and magic. The game is intentionally rules-light, putting the focus of play on imagination, improvisation, and fun. The rules are optimised for ease of use at the table, with meticulous attention to wording and layout clarity. What's more, Old-School Essentials is 100% compatible with the classic Basic/Expert game from 1981, meaning that decades of adventure are at your fingertips!
A Complete Game All in One Box
Old-School Essentials is a modular game where the core rules of the game are extended by additional "rules modules" which add content for different genres of fantastic adventure. The Old-School Essentials Black Box is a compilation of the core rules plus four rules modules, forming a complete game for Classic Fantasy adventures:
- Core Rules: Rules for character creation and advancement, adventuring in dungeons, the wilderness, and at sea, magic and combat.
- Classic Fantasy: Genre Rules: Seven classic classes (cleric, dwarf, elf, fighter, halfling, magic-user, thief), complete lists of weapons and adventuring gear, extensive lists of vehicles, mounts, and vessels, mercenaries and specialists for hire, rules for stronghold construction.
- Classic Fantasy: Cleric and Magic-User Spells: The complete set of 34 cleric spells (from 1st to 5th level) and 72 magic-user spells (from 1st to 6th level), for use by players or cleric, elf, and magic-user characters.
- Classic Fantasy: Monsters: A selection of over 200 classic monsters to challenge adventurers of all levels.
- Classic Fantasy: Treasures: A hoard of over 150 wondrous magic items.
The material in this boxed set forms a complete clone of the classic Basic/Expert game, including all rules, classes, spells, monsters, and magic items.
Deluxe Print Edition
This deluxe edition of Old-School Essentials comes in the form of five A5 (Digest sized) hardcover books in a sturdy game box. Features of the books:
- High quality sewn-binding hardcovers.
- 8 pages of colour art plates in each book.
- Printed endpapers with rules summaries and commonly used tables.