Men Like Gods
The 20th century gave birth to a new genre of fiction: the super-powered adventure. Men and women with strange powers gave a visible expression to the reader's sense of wonder, as they protected ordinary mortals from a variety of threats, from street crime to world-shattering disasters. When roleplaying games were invented, supers quickly became one of their most popular genres - and one of the most challenging to do right.
GURPS Fourth Edition provides the game mechanics and tools for the job, and GURPS Supers is your guide to applying them: a comprehensive playbook to the supers genre and to capturing it in your campaign. Focused on drama and characterization, it provides:
- A history and analysis of the supers genre, its precursors and variations
- A guide to character creation, including powers and other abilities, codes of conduct, dual identities, and personal relationships
- More than 20 new wildcard skills
- 22 templates for super characters, each customizable to higher or lower power levels
- Rules for creating equipment, vehicles, bases, automata, and magical spells
- A guide to creating and running supers adventures
- Continuity creation guidelines and tools, so your supers universe can have the same depth as published worlds
- New game mechanics for character creation, including new interpretations of advantages, disadvantages, and skills and newly defined perks, quirks, enhancements, limitations, and techniques
- Guidelines for running superhuman feats and combats under existing rules or adjusting those rules to fit the genre, and new game mechanics specifically for superhuman action
GURPS Supers is a new work, but it draws inspiration from the previous editions of GURPS Supers. Using it to run a GURPS campaign requires the GURPS Basic Set: Characters, GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns, and GURPS Powers. The material on genre conventions, character concepts and relationships, scenario creation, and supers universes can be used with any game system.